Send messages at precisely the right moment, at any time, with no extra effort from you. Sounds great right?
With SMS automation, you can fire off text messages automatically depending on particular customer behaviours or events. Businesses use text message automations to:
- confirm online orders
- send welcome messages
- recover abandoned carts
- alert staff to critical bugs
- send personalised marketing offers
- remind patients of their appointments
While messaging automation may sound very technical, it doesn’t have to be. We’ll show you different ways you can set up text messaging automation for your business.
So let’s get started. How to set up automated SMS
Here are the options.
- Web portal: set up automations in your web browser via our online Dashboard
- Direct integration: connect SMS directly to the applications you already use in a few clicks
- Indirect integration: use a no-code/low-code platform to add SMS to almost any application
- Get coding: build your own fully customised solution
Let’s dive right in to which option is right for your business.
1. Build automations in our web portal
Use our Dashboard, for no-fuss, simple text message automations. It’s great for starting out with automations and you can even build an auto-responder to quickly answer FAQs faster or ask for more information.
Automations can be:
- Time-based – send messages at regular intervals
- Contact-based – trigger messages when a new subscriber is added to your contact list
- Inbound – fire off messages when you receive a message
Inbound message rules can be used to reply to all messages, or only messages that contain a particular word or phrase by choosing SMS keywords.
This is the basic building block to create an autoresponder.
Create a multi-level campaign with an SMS autoresponder
Create an SMS autoresponder to provide near-instant replies for common questions, or to ask the routine questions you need to know when providing a service. All with inbound rules.
Check out this example of a typical journey for booking a car wash service via text message. The car wash company could get all the details needed to give an accurate quote within minutes of the original enquiry – without physically typing out messages for every customer.
Here’s what you need to consider when building your SMS autoresponder:
- FAQs: what types of messages are your customers already sending you? Are you spending a lot of time answering the same questions?
- User journey: what information do you need from users? What keyword do you want them to respond with? Depending on their reply, is there further information that you or they need to continue with your service?
In the example above, Crystal Car Wash has set up the following rules.
- Send a message whenever they receive an enquiry – they then ask which service. ‘Express Wash’ and ‘Platinum Wash’ are configured as SMS keywords.
- When customers respond with their choice of service, they ask whether it’s for a Sedan or SUV (again, both configured as keywords).
- Once the customer has responded with the service they want and then the car type being washed, Crystal Car Wash can quote for the service. Most importantly, is that they contact Niveen to book a time.
Once you have your questions and answers mapped out, you can set up your autoresponder.
Building SMS autoresponders – as simple as a few inbound SMS rules
- Within the Dashboard, click your profile and then Messaging Settings to get to inbound rules settings.
- Click Add New Rule, name your rule (and add your dedicated number if you use one).
- If you want your action to trigger on all inbound messages, leave the ‘Match For’ section blank.
- Or if you want to send if a keyword appears in the message, change it to ‘Message Contains’ and enter the keyword.
- Choose ‘AUTO_REPLY’ as the action and enter the message to be sent.
💡 There are several other actions you can choose, including automatically forwarding inbound messages to your email, moving/creating contacts, forwarding messages, etc.
- Save and you’e done ✅
Set and forget SMS messages are now being sent straight to your customers, at whatever time suits them.
2. Direct SMS integrations: plug and play, ready to use connectors
Connect in a few clicks using one of our ready to use integrations. This is great for those getting started with plugins and integrations, but prefer an out-of-the-box solution.
We have our own ready-built direct integrations with some of the biggest online applications. For example, If you use Zoho, Magento, WooCommerce, Salesforce or Freshworks as your CRM, you can easily add SMS capability with add-ons or plugins. Check out our full range of ready to use integrations.
Not on the list? That’s ok, we have an easy workaround.
3. Integration platforms: add SMS to almost any app without coding
So if we don’t have a direct integration that fits, you know you’ll find it via one of our integration partners.
In our autoresponder example above, Niveen replies YES to making a booking for her car wash. You could pick up the phone and give her a call, then try to tee up a time that fits your business’ appointments. Or you can save time by automating this part of the process too. We know which option we would choose 😎
Send a link to your appointment scheduling tool, then using a platform like Zapier, you can send text messages based on their booking. Set up:
- automated confirmation texts – triggered when the appointment is confirmed,
- automated appointment reminders – 24 or 48 hours before the appointment,
- an autoresponder – allowing customers to reschedule or cancel their appointments,
- thank you messages – sent after appointments to seek feedback or positive reviews.
Our customers also love to automate using Make (formerly Integromat) for multi-part workflows, Integrately, Microsoft Power Automate, PieSync and more.
4. Use Our Open API for a Fully Custom Built Solution
Retain full control over your SMS automation by building your own SMS functionality into your applications. Or consult your developer – this option requires technical know-how.
- Want to retain full flexibility while making use of our powerful integrations?
- Can’t find the direct integration you’re looking for?
- Got access to skilled coders or your own coding experience?
If the answer is yes, the sky is the limit. Build SMS, MMS, voice, fax, direct mail and more into your existing applications exactly how you want. Check out our full API documentation and find your preferred SDKs here.
Claim back your hours – start automating today
Set and forget messaging automations that save you hours? Yes please.
Reach out to us for help getting started – there’s always a friendly human ready to have an online chat. Or sign up now to get started with our powerful SMS automation software.