We live in a global world. Customer’s shop, book and buy beyond their borders, every single day. As a business owner — you need a way to communicate with your international cohort. Sounds tricky, right?
Here’s a secret. Global communication can be as simple as local messaging. All you need is a bulk SMS platform that offers international messaging. And, since you’re sending SMS — your customers don’t even need internet access to receive messages.
International SMS services offer companies simple, cost-effective and reliable text messaging, anywhere in the world. Which means you can send International SMS to wherever your customers, staff and partners are. Leaving you free to explore new markets or expand your established international presence. Let’s go, globe trotters.
So why use SMS for global business messaging?
Texting is the easiest way to send reliable, instant messages to your employees, customers, associates, suppliers, basically anyone.
Your contacts get messages straight to their handset. There’s no need for them to download another app or even have an internet connection. Making text messaging the perfect fit for international communications.
Here’s why international businesses love SMS:
- Reliable and trackable. Texting is more trustworthy than other direct marketing methods. And you can track message delivery to be sure.
- Everyone can receive a text. All mobile phones can receive text messages, it’s the built in messaging service for every cell.
- Short, sweet and to the point. SMS has a 98% open rate which leaves email in the dust.
- Customers respond to text. People are more likely to respond to calls to action in text messages compared to email or voice campaigns.
- Budget-friendly. SMS is very cost-effective, it’s inexpensive to send and delivers fantastic ROI. Winner.
Ready to go beyond local? Send international texts from your country to customers 200+ nations worldwide with our global SMS service.
What you should know before sending international texts
Every country has its own national food. Most countries have their own regulations for sending international SMS too. So, before you type out a text full of flavour and flair — it’s best to check the rules and best practices for the country you’re sending to.
Got questions about international sending? Our friendly team members can be your guides. Just reach out to support.
Here are some general tips to get you started:
- Always get opt-in consent from your contacts to send them texts.
- Never contact numbers on a Do Not Contact (DNC) or do-not-disturb list.
- Check the timezones. We recommend only sending within local business hours (Monday- Friday, 8am-5pm).
- Support messages in both English and the appropriate language in the country you’re sending to. Especially for STOP or HELP content.
Some countries may filter messages based on content. Here are a few examples of local regulations around the world:
- China blocks content that’s seen to be financial, adult, political or illegal. The carriers may filter messages with keywords related to healthcare, cosmetic surgery and beauty care.
- Mexico heavily filters traffic and it’s best to avoid using URLs, brand names and phone numbers.
- France and India queue marketing text messages for later delivery if they are sent at inappropriate times. That is, between 10pm-8am (France) or 9pm-9am (India), on Sundays and public holidays.
- Content related to gambling and other topics deemed objectionable are filtered by countries including the USA, Saudi Arabia and Japan.
Sending to the United States or Canada? You’ll need to get your dedicated number verified. Luckily, it’s free to do and we have prepared a guide to number verification.
How to get started with international text messaging
Ready to get some SMS passport stamps? We’ve got you. If you want to use international SMS services for businesses, the best place to get started is with ClickSend. Our platform is powerful. We have connections in every country and you’ll be able to connect with customers all around the world.
From big cities to quiet corners of the world, we’re well-connected. Which means your messages will reach your customers fast and via the most direct route — no matter where they’re located. ClickSend provides a user-friendly platform that makes sending international SMS campaigns easy. You can reach your target audience with personalised messages, important updates, or marketing offers — all via SMS.
Sending messages to another country is just as easy as sending a text at home. Once you log in to your account, you upload your contact list, create your message and click send. That’s it.
However, here are some extra tips to make sure your first international text message campaign is a success.
1. Uploading international phone numbers
It’s very important to include the correct country code when uploading your contacts. Typically, if you upload mobile numbers in your local number format, we try to convert the number into international format based on your default country code. But this could have some interesting results for international SMS 😳
Upload your international contact list in one of two ways:
- Include numbers in their full international format with country code
Eg. 1555xxxxxxx in the USA, 614xxxxxxxx in Australia, 44xxxxxxxxx in the UK, etc.
Full list of country codes can be found here.
- Add a column to your spreadsheet including the 2 character country for each of your contacts (eg. ‘US’) and your numbers will be converted during the upload. Just ensure to choose the ‘country’ column in the list import.
Find out more about ensuring that your contact list is set up for success.
2. Country specific features for sender identification
Our international SMS service supports four options for sender identification:
- A shared number
- A dedicated number
- Your mobile number
- Your business name
Read more about the ‘from’ sender details here.
Hot tip: In some countries you can only send from verified numbers. We’ve put together some information about sending to specific countries. Our knowledgeable customer support team is happy to help, 24/7.
3. Send International SMS to different timezones
Welcome to SMS scheduling, your new global sending bestie. You can schedule messages so you don’t have to be awake at midnight to deliver a message to Singapore at lunchtime.
Using scheduling, you can choose exactly when you want your message to be delivered. So you can create your message in advance, schedule it to send while you’re snoozing and wake up to sales or conversions.
Remember, many countries have multiple time zones. We recommend choosing a time that works in all timezones. Or, split your contact list into segments for each timezone.
ClickSend. Global coverage. Fast direct routes.
We’re ready to take your messages around the world. Choose a secure and reliable international SMS provider with stable direct routes. Build powerful SMS campaigns with lightning-fast delivery anywhere in the world with ClickSend. Sign up and get sending.